It’s been a long uphill struggle, but ActionChess should be appearing in iTunes or in the app store on your device anytime now. I wrote about this over at chesstris.com, but I’ve already submitted the first update.
It’s weird, but now that it’s been approved, I almost feel more nervous about it than I did before it was approved, while I was waiting for it to get approved. I have no idea what’s going to happen. I definitely want to get puzzle mode in there sometime in the near future, along with a new game mode that I’ve been thinking a lot about in the last week or so. I have so many game mode ideas that I don’t know when I’ll find time to implement them all.
I have plans to get together with a new friend and iPhone developer on tuesday, and we’re probably going to collaborate on another game in the near-ish future also. We’re thinking about doing some kind of match-3 game, and in prep for that, I’ve made a list of all the ones I know about already on the iPhone. Let me know if you see any missing from this list (there have to be more, I’m sure of it).
Match 3 games I have or have some experience with:
- ChocChocPop – florence’s favorite (adds powerups)
- Gem Spinner (add “shape constraints”, background “clearing”, rotation)
- Mix-A-Dot (adds color mixing)
- Gemmed (adds cool “critter” mechanism and different piece types)
- Puzzle Quest (adds RPG elements)
- Jewel Quest II (added background “clearing”)
- Bejewled II (played original Bejeweled, haven’t played the iPhone version)
- Aurora Feint (like Tetris Attack)
- Crazy Sushi (uses the Yoshi’s Cookie “slide a row” game mechanic)
- Trism (trianges!)
- ScribBall / CrayonBall (adds gravity, not sure if these should count)
- Pinch ‘n Pop (also stretching the definition, but it is sort of a match-3)
- Quadrix (“slide a row” not so much match-3 as making various shapes.)
…and the ones I haven’t (yet) played:
- Chain3 (no movement constraints — apparently this has been out since app store launch)
- Samurai Puzzle Battle (Puzzle Quest knockoff?)
- Smiles (on my wishlist)
- Diamond Twister
- Campaign Trail
- Chocolate Shop Frenzy
- Sliders (also uses “slide a row” game mechanic)
- Slida (also uses “slide a row” game mechanic)
- Big Booty
- Bling: Touch Fever
- Glyph (looks to be a lot like Jewel Quest)
anyway, check out ActionChess if you have an iPhone, when you get a chance!